- GENERAL PROVISIONS
- The Mozgalo Competition (hereinafter: Competition) is an educational student competition in development of practical solutions in the area of structured and unstructured data mining, machine learning and predictive modeling.
- The competition is organized by a branch of the association eSTUDENT (hereinafter: Organizers). The Competition is managed by the branch leader and his / hers deputy.
- The branch leader and the organizational team have the exclusive right to interpret these rules in the interest of fairness and equity, which includes deviations from these rules when it is necessary to maintain fairness and equality. In the event of such deviations, all interested parties will be notified as soon as possible.
- Circumstances not covered by these rules will be solved by the branch leader or organizational team.
- Organizers reserve the right to modify this Rule book at any time. In the event of such changes, all interested parties will be notified as soon as possible
- In the cases referred to in paragraphs 3, 4 and 5, filing an appeal is not allowed.
The persons involved in the competition are members of the organizing team (Organizers), contestants, lecturers and members of the jury.
- GOALS OF THE COMPETITION
The goals of the Competition are as follows:
- promotion of education and acquisition of practical knowledge in the area of mining of structured and unstructured data, machine learning and predictive modeling,
- encouraging students to independently develop creative solutions,
- education of students through lectures, workshops and mentoring,
- connecting students with project partners,
- enabling students to present their ideas and projects to the public.
- BASIC PROVISIONS
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate students of universities and other higher education institutions (polytechnics and colleges) in the Republic of Croatia.
- The competition is open to students studying outside the Republic of Croatia.
- Competitors may not be in any relationship with the Golden Partners of the project.
- Competitors must not be members of the organizational team or members of the Presidency of the Association.
- Competitors who are in a blood relation or close personal relationship with some of the members of the jury may participate in the competition. In that case, when assessing the points of that member, the latter member of the jury will not be included in the final grade and these grades will be replaced by an average rating of the other members of the jury.
- The competition team may consist of at least two (2) and maximum of four (4) members or competitors.
- A competitor may apply as a member of only one competitor team.
- Once the registration is complete, it is no longer allowed to change the team structure, or to receive new members or to change members.
- The competitor can also register independently, and the Organizer will try to find them a team. If the Organizer fails to find a team, they will not be able to continue the Competition.
- To participate in the Competition, you must apply through the application form that will be available on the Organizer’s website (Link). Applications will be open on February 26, and will be closed on March 16, 2018.
- The organizer reserves the right to extend the application period.
When completing the application form, teams must designate a member who will be responsible for all official communication between the team and the Organizers (team representatives). It is the first registered member on the official application form.
- Upon expiration of the application deadline, the participating teams will be labeled with a team name which will serve as a unique identifier.
- Competitors choose the team name independently.
By participating in the Competition, the contestants agree to the publication of personal data for the purpose of conducting the Competition, public announcements of the winners, awarding of prizes, and publishing of reports and / or similar materials related to the promotion of the Competition.
There is no registration fee.
The application documentation consists of:
- online sign-ups
- CVs of all members of the team (in CV base of eSTUDENT)
- student status certification by a screenshot of the appropriate section on Studomat.
III. THE COMPETITON
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
The phases of the Competition, for which the deadlines will be published timely on the Mozgalo website and on the Mozglao’s Facebook page, are:
- Applications: from 26.2.2018. to 16.3.2018.
- Formal opening
- Workshops, lectures and consultations
- Submission of assignment solutions : do 18.5.2018.
- Announcement of the finalists: 2.6.2018.
The Closing ceremony consisting of the presentation of final solutions and the announcement of the best teams: 4.6.2018.
- Each team works on a project that has to be part of the prize assignment.
- There are two prize assignments at the Competition.
- Assignments are formed by an expert jury composed of representatives of the Golden Partners.
- Upon entry, the contestants will select the task assignment wish to participate in through a special form, and then the organizers will send the assignment along with all necessary information to the teams’ representatives.
- To create a solution the team can use any tool or software, if it doesn’t violate the licenses of a given tool or software.
- Competitors must use free and open source software.
- In the case of using commercial solutions, latter must also be available to other contestants, equally without any additional fee (cash or any other)
Submission of assignment solution
- Each team will be assigned a code under which they will save their solution.
- Each team will be sent a link through which they must upload their solution
- The solution must contain the items on which the contestants will be informed in a timely manner.
- Solutions that do not include all items will be rendered incomplete and will not be considered.
Each prize assignment has a special scoring method which will be published on the Competition website
Assistance in creating a solution
Competitors may use any and all sources of information as well as consult with other people.
It is strictly forbidden to copy and use another’s solution and to present it as one’s own.
- Competitors can consult with the jury through the organized consultations.
- The jury has an exclusively advisory role in designing the solution.
- SELECTION OF THE SOLUTIONS FOR PHASE 3
- For the continuation of the competition, 5 (five) solutions per assignment will be selected according to the expert jury assessment.
- The organizers reserve the right to increase or decrease the number of solutions that pass through the finals. In the event of such changes, all interested parties will be notified as soon as possible.
- Solutions are selected according to the ranking of the jury’s ranking list.
- The final selection of the competition teams that have passed to the final will be published on the Competition website.
- The competition teams that have entered the final of the Competition will be notified via e-mail.
- OWNERSHIP OVER DOCUMENTATION AND SOULUTION
Teams have full ownership over the documentation and the solution they create in the Competition.
All members of the jury agree that the presented documentation will not be used for any other purposes than that of evaluation in this Competition.
- STRUCTURE OF THE PROFESSIONAL JURY
- The jury will be composed of one member of the Golden and Silver Partners.
- In case of inability to participate in the process of evaluation of the solutions, jury members of the Silver Partners will be replaced by the academic staff.
The structure of the jury will be published on the Competition website no later than 10 days before the selection of finalists entering the third stage.
- THE CLOSING CEREMONY
The presentation of the final solution
- The competition teams that entered the finals are required to prepare a public presentation of their final solutions.
- Presentation from paragraph 1 of this article must be held by at least one member from each competing team that entered the final.
- The projects are presented to the jury and the public at the Closing Ceremony.
- Competitors outside of Zagreb and the Republic of Croatia will be enabled to present solutions via video calls.
- The presentation should not last more than the specified time on the duration of which the finalists will be timely informed.
For each prize assignment three (3) best competing teams will be awarded prizes at the Closing Ceremony.
The competing teams from Article 28 will receive cash prizes in the following amounts:
- place: HRK 14,000.00 (fourteen thousand kuna)
- place: HRK 10,000.00 (ten thousand kuna)
- place: HRK 6,000.00 (six thousand kuna)
The team which prepares and executes the best presentation will receive a cash prize in the amount of HRK 1,000.00 (one thousand kuna).
- The prize fund is paid by the Organizer to the representative of the Competing Team, and the distribution within the team members is negotiated among the members themselves.
- The team representative is required to submit the payment information to the Organizer.
- All contestants who submit a solution in accordance with this Rule Book will receive a certificate of participation.
- Finalists will receive a special certificate of entry into the finals of the Competition.
- Competitors who win the first three (3) places will receive a special certificate of the winning place.
- Certificates for participants living outside Zagreb will be sent to the home address of the team representative after the Final Ceremony.
- After the final ceremony, the Organizer is obliged to arrange two terms for collecting the certificates of participation for the teams that have not won money prizes.
- Team-wide certificates can be collected by any team member.
- If a competing team or any of the team members does not collect the certificate in one of the two terms referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article, the Organizer shall not be liable for the remaining Certificates.
- ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES
- LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS
Competitors will be able to participate in lectures and workshops.
- The workshops will include lectures on specific issues related to the competition, which show to be useful and interesting to students.
- The workshops are held with the aim of giving the contestants a chance to create a better and more complete solution.
- The workshops will be led by employees of the Golden and Silver Partner of the Competition.
- The workshops will be held in 2 cycles.
- The first cycle of workshops: during March and April.
- Second cycle of workshops: during May.
Video sessions of all lectures and workshops, together with useful links on the competition website make up an online educational contents available for all contestants.
All contestants will be able to participate in the consultations.
- The consultations are held at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing in Zagreb, in the given term, on which the contestants will be informed in a timely manner.
- Competitors will be able to ask the Gold and Silver partners specific questions and will be helped in creating their solution. In addition, they will be able to get an opinion on the then-developed solution and tips for further development and improvement of the solution.
- Organizers have the role of a coordinator for the term of consultations between Partners and Competitive Teams.
- Consultations must be required in advance from the Organizers and each team will be given a separate term of consultation.
- Not all team members are required to participate in the consultations.
- For competitors living and studying outside of Zagreb, consultations will be organized through the Skype service.
- FINAL PROVISIONS
- Amendments to this Rule Book shall be made by the same body and in the same manner as the Rule Book itself.
- In the event that any provision of this Rule Book is unclear or there is a disagreement between the provisions, the body referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article shall be authorized to interpret the provisions of this Rule Book and make a final decision on the matter of their application
The Organizer and Partners are not liable for the availability of the Facebook service and / or the components that this service provides for the normal running of the competition as well as for the availability of the Internet provider.
- The rank and rank list as well as the score list of the contestants are considered secret until the official ending of the competition.
- The latter, excluding the information on individual evaluators, will be available upon request to contestants after completion of the competition.
- Appeals on the placement, rank list and the score list of competitors are not permitted.
This Rule Book shall enter into force on the day of its publication on the Mozgalo website.